It’s important to be aware of UK regulations when using video surveillance and recording equipment.
Most uses of CCTV will be covered by GDPR.
• Put up clear signage that explains that CCTV is being used, for what reason, and who by
• Have the ability to provide images of individuals on request, within 30 calendar days
• Readily share images with the police and other authorities on request
• Only keep images for as long as your business needs them
• Protect images from unauthorised view or access
Further reading from the Information Commissioner’s Office – https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/cctv/
The message here is simple; if you are a business operating CCTV cameras you must be registered with the ICO.
Business owners need to be aware of their obligations when dealing with people’s personal data and this includes footage from CCTV cameras.